Saturday, November 25, 2006

Over the Top!

What follows is a detailed report on a Very Good Day for Pooh Bears . . .


which was yesterday.

I began Thanksgiving Day alone at my computer where I finished the chapter I was writing, added it to the Master File and uploaded the whole thing to the Official Word Counter of NaNoWriMo.

The count rolled in at 52,585.
{{{So.}}} I have done it. I made it. I’m over the top with seven days to go. As we used to say in my Rodeo Days: YeEH-HAW!

I lit a candle and had some orange juice to celebrate.

My calculations were quite correct, I have over 50,000 words, but I do not have a novel. Like that empty/full glass that we perpetually wonder about, there are several ways to look at this.



I don’t have a novel, but I have 52,585 more words than I did on November 1. I also have a pretty good idea where to go from here. In other words, the work has just begun. I have learned quite a lot in the last three weeks. One thing is just that: the work has just begun. Another is that I am capable of doing the work. I have also learned that I really love the work. Even if I never finish the book, going through the process was worth it, if only for those three insights.

I didn’t try to end on Thanksgiving, it just happened. It did make it possible for this to be the first thing on my Thankful list. I have a new gratitude journal that is covered with red velvet. It is beautiful and feels lovely in my hands. I saved it to give to myself as a prize when I finished 50,000 words. The first thing I wrote it was that I was grateful to have the beautiful journal and indeed the materials to write. My Great-grandmother faithfully kept a journal using the margins of old letters, the few books she owned and every scrap of paper she ever found. I appreciate this electric-light-paper where my words come up as fast as my fingers can go, and I am thankful for the beautiful, blank, creamy paper in my new journal. There are few things more beautiful to a writer than a blank page, especially when you have the confidence to know you can fill that empty, hollow space with words. I do love words!

So I’ve made the goal at NaNoWriMo, but “In Shakespeare’s Steps” will still be here.

I will still be documenting the process until I’ve finished it. Please keep coming to visit. I’m expecting to get Post Show Depression any time now and will need to be cheered up, just as I have been cheered on!

Seriously folks, thank you so much for being here with me. Your comments here and knowing that you were reading and sending me good energy made an enormous difference in my being able to do this.

This is in the last chapter that I finished.



Ivy’s Prayer

Blessed Be the song of seasons
Blessed Be the firelight
Blessed Be the dawn awakened
Blessed Be the sacred night
Blessed Be the earth beneath me
Blessed Be the sky above
Blessed Be the Goddess giving
Blessed Be the grace of love


Blessings to you all ~
~ Winnie

1 Comments:

Blogger Vi Jones said...

We will always be here for you so don't think you can get rid of us. :)

Hugs, Vi

7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home